Driving in the Poconos is very different than driving most places in our country. First, we have no street lights, incredibly windy roads (I think they invented the turn "hair pin curve" after Rt 402), the fear of hitting a deer and fucking up your car and your life, and fog. Fog? Serious thick fog late night where we couldn't even see the traffic lights we were supposed to stop at. Unreal. On top of that, DUI checkpoints were out everywhere last night! Who in their right mind would drive wasted under driving conditions of the Poconos!?
Anyway, we got to Liz's, drank some of her family wine from their vineyard in New Jersey (which was excellent- PS) and shortly after found ourselves listening to the police scanner application on my iPhone. No conversation, just listening and laughing. First, I don't know if this application is legal, because we heard the Northampton County Police use the code 11-58, which means "Radio monitored- use phone." Did they know we were listening? How would they know that? Aren't you allowed to listen? I don't get it.
Secondly, we heard people's full names, telephone numbers, addresses and even a social security number come through last night. It's a sick addiction. It's like listening to drama television, but it's real life. Allentown police had trouble busting a party because 20 intoxicated kids was too much for one cop to handle, and backup wasn't getting there fast enough. We also listened to this incident happen, a cop named Jim go to Nazareth Diner and a ladder in the middle of 6th street. No joke, this iPhone app is A W E S O M E. I spent a good portion of yesterday listening, and the police scanner may be my new favorite drinking tool (we drink everytime they come on the radio... good luck).
After we left Liz's- Ang and I searched for a Perkins in the thick fog to no avail. Found a gas station. Then went to WalMart to buy potato salad and macaroni salad for Marty's barbeque. When we got home, there was a huge opossum in my front yard. I dashed inside, made it to my room and could not fall asleep until 5am because I was afraid I let it in the house. I'm crazy. I'm terrified of rodents. I hope I don't see it again tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment