I saw a family friend today that I have not seen since I was 5 years old. And I looked like crap. I mean crap. I had just finished working out, was at the grocery store with my mom and could not have looked worse today. And I saw her. My fabulous Aunt Nancy. I remember as a little girl always looking up to her... she was always so put together and chic. She's from Queens, has a vacation home here in the Poconos and a summer condo in Sarasota, FL. Her and my Uncle Jimmy (you know the family friends you call aunts and uncles as kids but really have no relation) met my parents back when my dad played golf every chance he had and my mom drank lots at the clubhouse. We grew up with them, and her real nieces Kelly Ann and Deidre. I guess life just got the best of everyone, because today was the first time I've seen her since I literally was 5.
And then I got to thinking. Think about all of the things you've accomplished and the goals you've acheived, even in your daily life. Then try running into someone you haven't seen in 18 years and try to explain it to them. I sounded like a babbling idiot! "Oh yea I just graduated college... yes Jacksonville University... small school in Florida... yes graduate school in the fall... Hofstra... health administration.... I'm so excited.... John's in Savannah...." and as I said these things and think about them there are 2 points of this conversation I had with Aunt Nancy that I will never forget.... 1) I remember being at her house like it was yesterday. I remember Uncle Jimmy dancing to "Runaround Sue" and just hanging out at the pool the whole day in Saw Creek. 18 YEARS HAVE FLOWN BY. I finished high school. AND COLLEGE? When did that happen??! Before you know it I'm going to be 25... and then eek... 30!! Have I already experienced the most fun I'm ever going to have!?? Where did 23 years of my life go already???!....
2) She said, "You are the spitting image of your father." BAM. The first thing I thought was... FML. Which is mean, but you have to understand my father. My dad has a very masculine face (which I have I suppose) among other burdens for me to bear. My mom went into Mr.Z's to get the RedBox movie, and the tears came down. But then, I took it as motivation. I have changed my eating habits and lifestyle. I now understand how crucial exercise and physical activity are as part of my daily activities. I've got a huge challenge ahead of me, and there is no room for any excuses. It has taken me years to reach this point, and it will take time to revert back to a healthy weight.
Seeing Aunt Nancy really lit a fire under my ass today. I don't want to have to see another person after 18 or so years, and feel like a major disappointment. Hello wake up call. Time to get my ass to the gym!
So since then, and after some cocktails and self reflection (of course), I have been buying things non-stop to make my workout experience more enjoyable. So far, this includes Skull Candy headphones (in pink!!), Jockey Slim Bermuda Shorts, and these little beauties. Yea I know it's a recession, but I've been sticking to my workout regimen for almost a month now (which is an accomplishment for me), so I decided to reward my hardwork. I'm accepting that no, I probably won't be considered skinny in 2009. But 2010 has my name written allllll over it ;)
YES MA'AM! I am right there with you! I feel like my weight holds me back SOOOO much and its time to say goodbye to the old me and start making something out of my life!!! POWER TO US!!!
ReplyDelete